Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is the discussion main page.
Main Discussion Points
- Site structure
- Site content
- Security- who can change what content- what is fixed and cannot be altered...
- Linux or Windows: which host should we use?
This is a test comment.
Linux or Windows?
Advantages of Linux:
- MediaWiki relies on tools and apps that are more easily accessible within a Linux environment
- Group expertise: the group may be more experienced with Linux rather than Windows administration
Disadvantages of Linux:
- The business is now mainly based on Windows servers rather than on Linux servers. Deploying MediaWiki in a windows environment would be proof that it can co-exist with current enterprise applications within Windows hosts. Support costs may be lower- no new skills required other than MediaWiki administration. Using Windows would promote MediWiki to the business as a whole and not just engineers who favour Linux.
- Improves the case for MediaWiki as an enterprise application in our Windows-based IT infrastructure
- I suspect that MediaWiki has been developed within Linux environments. Extensions for eg, Latex are almost certainly biased in favour of Linux hosts rather than Windows hosts.